Is there anything I can do to prevent spider veins? Sadly, you can’t 100% prevent spider veins, especially if they are genetic, however you can reduce the pressure causing them to develop. Let’s find out how.
What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are small damaged veins that show up on our legs and sometimes even our faces. They’re not painful, but they aren’t very pretty either. That’s why many of us want to have them removed. Similar to varicose veins, but not as noticeable, they are both due to venous insufficiency.
Venous insufficiency occurs when our veins become damaged and the valves that help to move our blood to the heart malfunction. If these one-way valves do not close properly, blood can flow backwards and increase the pressure in our veins. This pooling of blood causes a bulge that branches out and becomes visible on the skin.
It’s Hard To Prevent Spider Veins When…
You are a woman and venous insufficiency runs in your family.
You are overweight.
You have a job that requires you to sit or stand for long periods of time.
You are getting older.
You are pregnant.
You are taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for menopause.
You have sun damage on your face.
You have had a previous blood clot.
Don’t despair! There are still ways to minimize these common risk factors.
Ways To Reduce Your Risk Factors and Prevent Spider Veins
There are well-care tips and lifestyle changes you can make to reduce the look of spider veins or help to prevent them. They include the following:
- Wear compression stockings, which can help with circulation.
- Exercise more frequently, which will help improve both leg and vein health.
- Control your weight, which will prevent too much pressure on your legs.
- Avoid crossing your legs.
- Elevate your legs when resting or even at night with pillows.
- Wear sunscreen on your face to prevent sun damage. This can lead to damage and broken blood vessels.
- Limit the use of hot tubs or saunas.
- Take breaks and move around if you have a job that chains you to a desk.
- Ditch those spike heels.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
All is not lost if you add these tips into your daily life.