While many find the warmer weather a chance to pull out their shorts and summer dresses, others wish they could keep their winter leggings on forever. Unsightly varicose veins are an embarrassment and many like to keep them hidden even in the hot weather. Fortunately, there is some new technology that helps including how varicose veins are treated. Now is the time to learn about the benefits of radiofrequency ablation for varicose veins.
Not Just a Cosmetic Issue
Although varicose veins can be thought of as a cosmetic problem, there are more serious medical issues associated with them. Swollen enlarged veins can twist and bulge under the skin due to an excess of blood pooling. Our veins and blood vessels are meant to pump blood from the heart and back again. Sometimes the one-way valves in our legs become damaged and allow blood to flow backward due to gravity. This is known as venous insufficiency.
It can be painful and lead to venous ulcers, inflammation, and cellulitis—a serious skin infection.
Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)
Radiofrequency ablation is a minimally invasive treatment for varicose veins. It uses radiofrequency energy to heat and damage the vein’s wall which collapses and closes off the varicose vein. The vein becomes absorbed in the tissue, and blood is diverted to a more healthy vein.
This is accomplished by inserting a catheter through a tiny incision and using ultrasound to visualize the proper place to send the radiofrequency heat.
Benefits of Radiofrequency Ablation
If you are considering what treatment to choose for your varicose veins, RFA has multiple benefits.
- No need to stay in the hospital. RFA can be performed in Vein Center at Brinton Lake’s office in Glen Mills, PA, and you return home after the procedure.
- No anesthesia needed. Only a local anesthesia will be administered which is especially beneficial for older patients. The procedure only takes 35 to 40 minutes to perform.
- There is virtually no downtime. You can return to your normal activities within 24 hours. The only things to avoid are strenuous exercise and heavy lifting for about one week.
- Very little bruising or swelling after RFA lasting no more than 14 days.
- Safer than traditional surgical procedures.
When you are ready to remove those varicose veins and leave pain and long pants behind, contact Vein Center at Brinton Lake at (610) 579-3516 to find out if radiofrequency ablation is right for you.